Thursday, February 16, 2006

Confessions of 1 unmarried woman

I was very much looking forward to Confessions of 300 unmarried men. Firstly, coz I haven’t watched a (good) play in a long time. Secondly, I’ve watched Confessions of 3 unmarried women some 2 years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The men version is supposed to be the part 2 of the women. Lastly, it solves the problem of what to do on valentine’s day.
The play turned out to be okay. It’s funny but I got lost somewhere in the middle. This time, instead of a full plot like confessions women, it’s a string of short plays by 4 different playwrights and it gets really confusing when they end abruptly at one point and moves on to the next part. There’s even this kara-oke part where the 3 men take turns to lip-sync love songs. No doubt it is entertaining but lip-syncing love songs?? I guess I was expecting more.
The show opened with a teaser. “As we are about to start the show, please kindly switch off your mobile phones or turn it to vibrating mode as long as it does not affect the person sitting next to you.” something like that. Hurhur. Yah, that was the kind of humour the show had.

That aside, it does have funny anecdotes about why men chooses to remain single. Let me try to recall some of it…

1)Your dog is barking outside the door. Your wife is shouting outside the door. Who do you let in? The dog of course, at least the dog will shut up once you let it in.
2)My wife complained that there are too many electric gadgets in the kitchen that there’s no place for her to sit. So, I got her an electric chair.
3)The reason why I am unmarried is because, every morning I look into the mirror, I can’t even stand living with myself!

There were a lot more funnier ones but I can’t remember now.. It’s the kind of tickling humour. Laugh and forget.
So I asked mr. Goh what will be his reason for staying unmarried. Smart chap says none of those mentioned in the show applies.

The show did explore the topic about missing the “right” bus, but the analogy was that of a sushi conveyor belt. Disgusting thing they mentioned is, what happens when you pick a dish and it’s one that someone else has fingered. (I’m glad we didn’t have sushi for dinner that night)

So yep, a not-too-bad play for some vday entertainment I guess. Somehow, as the years move on, vday celebration is not that significant afterall. No candlelight dinner, no vday cards, no flowers for me this year and I’m not complaining. I read an article in Today and the writer (who worked as a florist) wrote that she had a customer who ordered two bouquets of flowers. One for his wife and one for his mistress. Another story is that of a girl overseas who ordered a box of chocolates online to be delivered to her bf here. When the delivery person reached the place, she saw that the table was set for two for a candlelight dinner. Yah, kinda sad.
So, what’s your valentine’s package? Hope it’s none of the above.

No comments: