Sunday, February 12, 2006

My love affair with fireworks display...

My love affair with fireworks had been amazing the past few months. Witnessing the national day fireworks lighting the sky from the four corners of Singapore on the balcony of Swissotel brought along a brand new experience of fireworks viewing. (To be exact, just 3 corners since we can’t see the displays at the back) Given the bad direction sense I have, it took me a while to figure out where the fireworks were coming from (yishun, tampines, marina). Then there was the Fireworks festival a few days after NDP.

And then I got the chance to light my own fireworks at the kelong during xmas. The fireworks powder is actually stored in this phallic looking “tube” with a long wooden stick to prop the “tube” upon shooting. We got the medium-sized fireworks which cost about S$10 per tube; all for that ten seconds of wows and oohs and ahs and oh my gods. The lighting up part is quite exciting, almost like lighting a bomb and then you’ll have to run off to safety after you lit it. We weren’t allowed to light the tubes when planes are flying by (the kelong is pretty near an airport). But can you imagine sitting by the window and seeing the sprouts of light and colour appear right before your eyes/reflected from the windows?? How cool is that. You may never ever get closer to fireworks than that.

But I was wrong, the New Year’s eve fireworks at the esplanade were even more bombastic. A full ten minute of fireworks display. They appear right before your eyes and draw you so much closer to them, as if twirling you into their vortex. Spell-bound. And then there was the CNY fireworks at esplanade too, for all the 15 days of cny. Singaporeans are really spoilt with the amount of fireworks over the past 2 months. Then again, I guess it’ll boost our tourism industry. (I was surrounded by Malaysians, Indians, Chinese and a few hongkong pp)

I don’t know when I first started to fall in love with fireworks display. The awe and fascination with something so beautiful but yet so short-lived (and expensive). You’d be kept in anticipation before the display begins and be surprised once in a while with the occasional outbursts. And you never know when the display will end but you’d wish it goes on forever. But I guess the best part of all is to watch it with someone you’d want to spend forever with.

I almost lost this love relationship with fireworks some time back; when I felt it’s such a pain to squeeze among thousands sticky and sweaty persons and I’m losing the effort to catch it. Plus, fireworks display got tired and there weren’t any for me to catch. It takes two to tango, really. To want to keep things together, to dance in sync. I just wish the music will not stop playing and we’ll still be able to catch fireworks display again next year.

No comments: