Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Host

Haven't watched a horror film for some time, and since mr goh didn't mind, we decided to watch the Host.

I whispered 'good luck' to the guy sitting next to me, the one who'd have to endure my screams and outbursts.

But....

It wasn't a scary movie.

yes, the mutated creature was very disgusting looking.

yes, there were occasional scenes which made me shriek and jump out of my seat.

But...

it's not the typical 'The Ring' kinda scary movie.

It was, in fact, very sad and I cried.

cos people died. and the protagonist had to watch his own father get killed by the monster. watch his own daughter captured by the monster.

And he can do nothing about it. Helplessness....,i concluded, is the other 'monster' in the show.

You try so hard to save someone, clinging on to the slightest glimpse of hope and at the end of it, when you're so close to achieving it, you realise there's still nothing you can do. and you feel helpless again. Is that a vicious cycle or what?

so you vent it out on the monster who took your loved ones away. though that's nt going to revive them.

You have to start living again, as a better person. There are other things to hope for, i guess.

In any case, I enjoyed the movie. I think i'm starting to enjoy Korean movies more and more. I watched 'The Art of Seduction' some time ago, and really liked it. And today, 'The Host'. Their actors and actresses aren't the best looking, but there's just something different about korean movies.

Then again, I probably haven't watch enough korean movies to make a good judgement.


with mr goh at borders.

1 comment:

TruthSeeker said...

Words that relate to life just as much as they describe the movie.