Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Lamma Island 070804


Fion and AJ kindly invited me to join them for a day of hiking/basking under the sun 0n Lamma Island. =)

BRIEF INTRO:
Lamma Island (南丫島), is also known as Pok Liu Chau (博寮洲). It is the third largest island in Hong Kong and part of the Islands District, Hong Kong. Situated at the southwest of Hong Kong Island, it has a total area of 13.55 square kilometres and an estimated population of 6,000.

And it is NOT the island where the Lammas stay, Miss Zee.

It's actually the hometown of Mr Chow Yun Fat.

(He grew up in the village of Tung O in Yung Shue Wan.

His family still operates a seafood/pigeon restaurant called "Shau Kee" in the main village, but we didn't go there.)


Took a bus to Aberdeen (香港仔) to catch the ferry to Yung Shue Wan


The weather was perfect - Blue skies white clouds. As the boat sped towards Yung Shue Wan, I felt as if my thoughts/worries were left in the trail of water and gone within seconds. Fion said she enjoys going back to nature instead of hustling bustling with the crowds at Causeway Bay during weekends. I couldn't agree more - the shopping crowd here on weekends is MADNESS (though you'd probably feel more accomplished if you managed to find a good bargain).

My 'job' for the day was to take arty farty pictures. Here are some of my favourites:
As with any island, the main form of transportation is by foot or bicycles.
Sun-dried fish-I-don't-know-the-name-of
Veiled view of the pier
Sun down
The island restaurants and holiday houses "渡假屋"

These 3 has got to be my favourites:

THIRD

SECOND


I'm not quite the 'sunset' person but this was beautiful. =)

FIRST

SHADOWS

Perhaps how the old lady carried on and walked the path alone made me love this picture even more.




Apart from fishes and bicycles, this island has also A LOT of:
GREENS

DOGS


And it's also littered with tiny retail stores

The statues of the mini buddhas are actually candles... but we were thinking... HOW BLASPHEMOUS! You start by burning ITS head off!

Conveniently located halfway through the nature walk is this 豆腐花 stall - tended by this granny and her love.


HK people have a habit of putting the orangey sugar on top - it actually gives some texture to the silky smooth 豆腐花. YUM.

Their mosquitoes are also commando-trained... can still stick to your skin and suck your blood even when you're walking! I've got ... one.. two.. three... four.. bites even though I've got this!


Mosquitoes are not the only dangerous creatures on the island....


At the end of the day... tired and sticky...wanted to snap the man behind me in this pic....


He was bouncing like Tigger.

I love this pic Fion took for me!
Very got the 'FEEL' ah.....


Dinner was at Aberdeen - with more ferry rides.

Don't you think their public housing look like our HDB flats too?

Can't wait for the '出海' trip on 25th! Yay!

No comments: