Friday, August 10, 2007

Typhoon Pabuk - Signal 8

Snippets of Typhoon Pabuk news

A typhoon lashed Hong Kong Friday forcing the closure of the stock market
and leaving the streets deserted,
as the Pabuk storm changed direction and headed back towards the city.

I knew something was brewing this morning, after I thought about getting a raincoat this morning - judging from the amount of rainfall and size of rain droplets as I braved through the storm to make it to work.

Fion told me that it was a signal 3 this morning, and by signal 8, we could announce a holiday for ourselves. At that time, I was still wondering how long it'd take to reach signal 8 (since still got 4, 5, 6, 7 levels to go - but apparently, it just jumps from 3 to 8).

The Hong Kong Observatory issued a level eight storm signal at 2:30 pm (0630 GMT), advising members of the public to return home immediately and closed all of the city's schools.

Well, right after lunch at the HKU, I was getting really excited. The people on the streets were informing one another that the HK Observatory would likely annouce a signal 8. The radio was announcing the same. A quick check on the HKO website confirmed the same.

"It's the first time Hong Kong hoisted a typhoon signal this year,'' HKO. "This kind of case has only happened 10 times in the past 50 years. The last time this happened was in 2000, a typhoon called Maria.''

Yipee!! A typhoon!! The last time I experienced a typhoon was about 2 yrs ago, in KaoHsiung, and I wasn't really in the 'action' - merely woke up in the hotel and informed that it was dangerous to go out. I think I would have been one of those 'kpos' who went to the shoreline to experience how strong the winds were, but considering I was travelling alone, I didn't.

This time, I'm right in the middle of the action!

It felt like a automatic drill - we packed our bags and happily left the office. Outside, you see people armed with umbrellas -
with a common intent to get home asap (and safely).

I felt the winds on my face; the flipping of my tiny umbrella. I felt the RUSH.

I smiled silly - not recognising how dangerous typhoons can be.

Trading was suspended on the stock exchange 15 minutes later.

Ferry services were suspended in the high winds, as tens of thousands (including myself) struggled to get home in the appalling conditions.

Underground stations saw severe crushing (severely understated) as the crowds tried to get home before services were suspended.

Queues to buses were loooooooooooong;
MTR gantries were monitored to prevent overcrowding.

I didn't even have room to take out my cam to snap pics.

I need to have my mini fan around and I was worried I would faint/die in the stampede (should there be one).

Concerts and public events were cancelled across the territory. I want to go Jacky's concert..... =_=


Winds of 90 kilometres (56 miles) per hour were measured in the territory, with gusts of up to 111 kph, the Observatory added.

Strong winds caused some scaffolding on buildings in the financial hub to collapse.

Hong Kong Observatory said Saturday was expected to begin with gale force winds, which would weaken later, but rain would persist throughout the weekend.

It took me 2 hours to get home - waited for 7 mini buses at Tsingyi before I finally got the chance to get up the 16-seater. Everything was calm in my neighbourhood, the shops were already closed.

The guard at the lift lobby used duct tapes to tape 'X's across the glass doors - 'in case they crack', he said.

I opened the windows the first thing I got home.
The winds were chilling on my face.
The waters were clear of boats/ships/tankers.
I was hoping to see water spouts.

I thought about the wonders of nature; and the end of the world.

Miss Xie told me she saw two perfectly arched rainbows in Miyazaki.

After the storm, things will return to normal.

And you will get the rainbows, if the sun does shine.

2 comments:

~* ros *~ said...

hi!

when are u gonna stay in hk til? i might be going over soon!

Unknown said...

hey~~ I'll probably be around until early Sep.. when are you planning to come over?