Friday, August 22, 2008

Typhoon Nuri

Besides the Olympics and food, I think typhoons in HK excite every single person around you in Hong Kong. In the office, some religiously tune in to radio stations every 15 min; others surf the Observatory website for updates; or rely on email fwds. On the streets, people's footsteps are hurried, most are armed with a brolly. You hear people speaking of numbers 1, 3, 8 and even 9 and 10 (typhoon signals).

I must say the HK meteorologists are pretty accurate - before 8am they announced Typhoon signal 8 - meaning all schools, offices will be closed. People stock up on food, and stay home. I was already all dressed and ready for work and Typhoon Nuri is well on her way to HK (why do typhoons have female names?)

What the heck. I want to feel the wind. :)

And indeed I felt it. The scaffolding across the street shook slightly. Plastic bags and rubbish twirled like mini tornadoes and my hair was all over the place. Interestingly, the ladies were all in pants and there were hardly any cars on the streets (since insurance does not cover moving vehicles during typhoons).

Armed with my pink Giordano brolly bought last night, I made my way to the office. :D

Oh, last night too, I thought I had lost my super girly blue umbrella at TsuiWah after dinner. Only realised it when having GuiLingGao with kain, which must have been an hour or so later. My first thought was, it couldn't be there any more, someone must have taken my pretty umbrella. His thought was, no harm going back to take a look. And I'm SO happy we did.

失而复得的快乐 is velly wonderful.

No comments: