Saturday, November 20, 2010

Tastee of toast box in hk

Afternoon tea (or ha um cha) is not uncommon in hk. Hong kong people used to having toast for tea in the tea canteen (cha chan tank).

Its just a matter of time before the singapore toasts appear in Hong kong, and with a premium price tag too.

So this morning's yum cha session with j and parents wasn't exactly filling and my stomach started to sound at 3+ in the afternoon. I thought about getting MacDonald's fries, Starbucks or Pacific coffee, but I ended up at toast box.

The set cost me 32hkd (~5sgd now given the atrocious exchange rate). The toast portion is smaller, the half boiled eggs are cold. The ice Milo is the only thing that's somewhat kept to its original flavour, or the flavour I remember.

Its odd hearing the staff shout 'kopi c! Kopi kosong! Teh o! Milo dinosaur'. The half boiled eggs can be switched to fried eggs to cater to local tastes - which I think I should have ordered instead since they really don't know how to make half boiled eggs.

The pandan cake is 13hkd per slice! 20hkd if u buy 2. One whole cake has probably 8-10 slices.... so that makes 80-100hkd for a whole cake! And people still buy them. I wouldn't.

But I'd still visit toast box in hk to get my Milo fix. And hopefully for those who want the real taste, they would go to singapore and try it themselves.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

1 comment:

Yanlin said...

Nice to read your blog again and happy to know you are doing fine!