Wednesday, March 08, 2006

So you think you can dance??

I usually wait for my bus home at a bus stop near the Youth park place at somerset. Most of the time, I get to see dance groups practising on the stage in the evening and some other people playing with their skate boards. And I start to think back on those times when I was so in love with dancing. Hm, I actually said I was... but I think I still am in love with dancing. Hip Hop, Funk, Modern, Jazz, Salsa... I really miss those times when I'll sweat it out practising and rehearsing for endless hours into the night, JUST for a 3 to 5 minute performance.

I knew I wanted to dance since Sec one.. I tried out for our red house cheerleading team (but didn't get in until my second year). We won the cheer routine competition that year and it was, perhaps, one of my proudest moments in st nicks. Rehearsing late into the week nights and even coming back school on weekends, going through the routine again and again and again and getting so stressed out as the Big day arrives and getting so upset that other houses have similar dance steps (though I never really understood this part. I mean, yeah, the routine should look nice with good moves, but you'll also need good team spirit and attitude to bring out the vitality in the routine itself...) but yeah, that's cheerleaders and cheerleading..... it's the same everywhere.

Didn't continue my dancing stuff in JC cos I thought I wanted to be a slacker. So, no cheerleading, no major performances and lotsa skipping school. But, I still did some dancing... Lin & I came out with some choreography for a teachers' day item but apparently the auditioning teachers didn't like the dance cos it was kinda sexy and so, it didn't get pass the censor board. I remember practising at this place near the grand staircase landing & the squash court (not the best place to do dance cos it was kinda dark, with no mirrors) Then, our class did an item for national day and we had to do a dance item as well, and it was a safe, conventional dance which would have been rated Parents Guidance-Not Necessary.

So my "dancing career" took another turn when I went to NTU. Modern Jazz had the Dancetitude performance at Nanyang Audi, Hall One had its own dance group, then its cheerleading team (which we were the champions in my year 2 as well) and we even took lessons at this dance studio somewhere near Laupasat. It was all good fun.

And last evening, as I sat alone at the bus stop, I asked myself if I'd ever be able to do all these again. To join a dance group and commit my time and energy, to ignite the weak dancing flame burning in my heart. I know I yearn to go back to dancing again, to feel the beats of the music and feel my body move along with each coordinated and synchronised move, to feel that I belong to a group with a common passion. Actually, I've been thinking of this for the past few months, and up til today, I'm still just thinking of it....


Our Unisus cheerleading days.

6 comments:

Feim@o said...

i remember the national day dance.. it was the solaris dance.. hahaha quite farnie.... i remember dancetitude.. you were the files girl :)

Unknown said...

oh yah... solaris dance.. i was trying very hard to think of what my house is called... but yah, i vaguely recall that we wore very ugly dance costumes...

Feim@o said...

huehuehue... i think i remember the costume.... errr. some mini skirt kind of cloth with tights underneath and if i dun remember wrongly, you all tied your hair with pieces of yellow ribbons errr... yeah.... not nice by any standards. anyway i jus realise i did not publish my post abt shoes thief. i will try to post again later

Unknown said...

Yes!! it was some mini skirt which showed off our disgusting thighs! and yes, i was trying very hard to think of the yellow house name... solaris... heehee. u dun say me, u also have some silly national day dance thing where u were the lion or something??

Feim@o said...

hey i do not take kindly to insults of such magnitude. yes i was the lion, not just any lion, but the lion that Sang Nila Utama had the great honour of bumping into. he lion that can do abit of a hip hop dance.

Unknown said...

okay, you are the great lion which sang nila utama saw dancing hip hop. no wonder he is interested in our sunny island set in the sea. hehee.