Wednesday, December 06, 2006

25-11-06 New Delhi

It took me one hour plus to pass the customs (see photo of long queue from previous entry). People were queueing until there was no space to queue anymore and had to stand on the staircase.

While I was queueing, there was this old lady, born in India but became Australian, who is going back to her home country after many many years. She doesn't look Indian though. maybe it's the white hair from the slightly tan skin. She was telling the people in the Q how the markets in Sydney had lotsa cheap stuff, something like a coat would cost 5 usd only. She bought lotsa stuff back for her family. too many bags for her to carry. she had to wear some of the clothes she bought for her sis. too many layers of clothes. good thing she's visiting during winter.

It was 16 degrees when I stepped outside the airport. For someone who is too scared of cold and who has never been to countries during winter, I shivered and gritted my teeth. My hair stands even when I’m in the office and that’s like 23 degrees?

Anyway, my hotel people came to pick me up from the airport. First time I see my name on hotel placard. First time to be surrounded by so many Indians. The roads were dark, hardly lit. The driver played Indian music. I tried to converse with them, but they don’t seem to want to talk.

Another Australian guy was with me in the car. His name is Quinn and he’s here for a trade exhibition. We talked, not very much, cos we were both tired…. He even more since he came from Sydney, transit in Singapore. Had the urge to ask if he’d like to explore New Delhi together with me the next day, but decided not to. I should be able to survive on my own. Hurhur.

TL told me I’d be overwhelmed the moment I cross the customs and I was indeed overwhelmed, in a good way. It’s a nice feeling, to be exploring somewhere on your own.

The adventure has begun.

No comments: