Thursday, March 01, 2007

my school building

Flipping through the New Paper today, my glance fell upon this small article with the heading "From school building to boutique hotel".... not usually the kind of news that will attract me... until I saw the words 'Pearl's Hill Primary School'.

That's where I came from.

Now, from a run-down school building, it is going to be converted into a boutique business hotel by the end of this year!

I still remember the school compound vividly.... a 12-storey building (apparently not many primary schools are this high).... the staircases, the lifts and the lift uncles, the dental clinic and the book store on the 1.5th level.

I remember the canteen, the different food stalls, some of the aunties' faces. My favourite fried rice and sunny side up as well as the wanton noodles. All for less than $1. I remember the benches, and some of those which always have bird shit on them.

The pond which looks mouldy all the time. The field, the monkey bar where my bro broke his arm, the basketball court where we run our 1.6km, the park where we always go during our art lessons... the angsana and casuarina trees.

so so so many memories.

now the classrooms will be turned into hotel rooms and bathrooms. The canteen will become the lobby. The garden may be a balcony. The basketball court into a swimming pool?

maybe i should gather my primary school friends and book ourselves a room there when it's done. =)

link to article on cna :
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/261136/1/.html

No comments: