Monday, March 26, 2007

Foodie weekend

Mr Goh had been rambling about this famous Bak Kut Teh (BKT) place at rangoon road ever since his colleagues brought him there. It's only open from 6am to 2pm (closed on Mondays), so we thought we'd better go there early in order not to disappoint ourselves.



What turned out to be a good intentioned, good-for-tummy trip, wasn't so fantastic after all. Don't get me wrong... the food was yummy and I'd love to go back there again...

See, we arranged for Mr Goh to come pick me up at 11am, so we could get there and have an early lunch. But I woke up late, so Goh had to come by around 12.

AND we took ONE hour to find the place, cos Mr Goh, with a street directory in the car, did not know how to get there. Throughout the journey, he was asking me for directions.

FIRST of all, I DON'T DRIVE, I can't tell the difference between the PIE and the CTE and the AYE.
SECOND of all, I HAVE NEVER been to that BKT place.
THIRD of all, I'm a history student; so I suck at reading maps.

So, for every wrong turn, he would huff and puff; for every driver who did not give way to him, he would scold them and honk at them. I know it probably isn't fun to be driving for ONE hour, so I just kept my mouth shut.

Finally, we found the place and had to wait for a table. Wait wait wait...

I was really quite hungry already since I didn't have anything that morning. Good that we managed to get a table after 10-15 min. Sat down, and Mr Goh asked me what I wanted to eat...I said i want ZHU JIAO. pig's legs. BUT he ordered BKT and ZHU GAN (pig's liver). Not that i mind zhu gan, cos i love to eat zhu gan too... but it's just one of the small things that irks me.

what followed was just a series of worse things which really ANNOYED me. We were seated for 5 min already... and nobody came to ask us for our orders, nor clear the table for us. So I suggested to Mr Goh that he asked the uncle to come over BUT he refused to budge! He said we've just gotta wait for our turn.

A HUNGRY WOMAN IS AN ANGRY AND MAD AND IMPATIENT WOMAN.

So obviously I wasn't very happy liao. Then after ordering, he realised he's got no cash, (I told him I've got about 20 bucks), and he just left in a hurry to find an ATM, in freaking ulu rangoon road!!! I was so MAD! Immediately after he left, the food came and I asked for the bill (which turned out to be 18 only and I've got 25). It's annoying and silly because we could have asked for the bill first, and if we don't have enough cash, THEN GO FIND AN ATM. Simple logic right or not.... all you do is open your mouth and ask, if you're not sure.

Anyway, one bad thing leads to another, I didn't have my hp with me to call him back. So I waited, and waited, and waited...

the smell of the BKT. the temptation just right there. ARGH.

the boss of the shop came by to ask me why I'm not eating yet. Another uncle came by and asked me why the person still haven't come. The table in front of me came at same time, but already finished their meal.

All in all, I waited for 20 min, until I buay tahan, took out a ten cent coin, left my seat and the food, and used those old-fashioned put-ten-cent-coin-in-dial-phone (thankfully) to call that Mr Goh (see right corner of pic, yellow phone). The phone is like DAMN dusty lor.


The BKT soup and teh had already stopped boiling, but my blood was BOILING TO THE MAX, which explains for the super unhappy I-want-to-kill-you-with-my-stares kinda photos.






I must commend the store's service though... cos the boss changed the BKT and pig's liver for ME, since they've already turned cold. (I later found out that this is the (in)famous BKT shop which refused to open beyond their usual operating hours to serve HK's CEO Donald Tsang and the local media created a big hoo ha over it...)

So all in all, it was just a very annoying lunch. Even give me eat birds nest, abalone, sharks fin, they also won't taste good.

But I want to go back there again.... I love making tea like that. ;D


So after the lunch hoo-ha, we went to One George as planned (stopover at HANS to have a drink and dessert first).


Then to FF. View from the pool...


can see the Singapore Flyer wor! 75% completed!

It would be the largest ferris wheel in the world! 165m in diameter! but hor... singapore flyer... can have nicer name or not?

Anyways, I freaking rode on the cyling machine for ONE HOUR! 20 km! 400 calories! I was pretty impressed with myself, cos originally I only wanted to do 30 min... then thought of going for 45, and then thought, what's another 15 more?

I'm glad I pushed myself....

cos that night we went and fed ourselves like PIGS at Chomp Chomp.

Mr Goh was in such a hurry to leave because we ordered chicken wings too, but the lady hasn't come... and we really can't eat any more!

Plus, it's so stressful to eat at Chomp Chomp's. There's perpetually the seats-problem. And when you finally get one, there are 'vultures' looking over you as you eat, standing as close to your shoulders as possible, it's annoying. I mean, I will also stand next to the table to 'pressure' people to leave their seats... BUT that is only when I see that they're finishing their drinks or sth...

This mother, along with her daughter, stood really close to me. Apparently, we looked like we were finising our dinner... but that's cos the rest of the orders hadn't come yet!! The daughter was kicking my bench lor! I wanted to scream at her already lor! but I wasn't so mean to spit the food onto her face.... :P Bleh.

and to end the night, Mr Goh's mother brought back Black Glutinuous rice soup, with gingko nuts. I SUPER LIKE. =D

I want another foodie weekend!

No comments: