Sunday, March 11, 2007

Great expectations

For the past week, I've listened to people's stories, about expectations; expectations of themselves, of others close to them, and their future together. I realised that circumstances shape people, how we're brought up molds us, the way we think, the way we expect to be treated, how the world looks through each of our eyes, how ,in the future we'd want our children to live the way we're living, if not better.

The final blueprint for living life, the big picture, will somewhat be similar for everybody, but how we get there differs.

Relationships are like that, i guess.

You constantly need to meet expectations of each and everyone in that circle, like the different layers of the onion, until you reach the core. You get frustrated by others (the other layers) so much so that sometimes, you forgot who you're really in love with.

I shared with Mr Goh my thoughts about the future, my own kind of expectations and secretly hopes that his are the same as mine. Where it's not, hopefully we'd compromise.

While browsing furniture at Harvey Norman today, we have a glimpse of what our future home will look like. I told him I want an oven in the kitchen, doesn't matter if I don't bake. I just want an oven. And he said, together with the oven, he will get me the ironing board, the washing machine, and the vacuum as well. His sense of humour really tickles me.

I'm not sure if talking about things like these is still too early??

Though he says he's frustrated that he's reached a stage where he's ready to move forward, yet he can't because of practical realities. I feel his frustrations too, and I don't mind moving forward but I guess good things, like good wine, needs to be cultured over time.

Patience rewards those who wait? Will there really be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

only time can tell, really.

as for now, just hold on dearly and savour every moment of it.

It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

No comments: